Topics

locked Reluctantly not going to make it to 2020 Ozarkcon

wa2cky

My wife and I have decided that, despite signing up etc, we will not be going to the 2020 Ozarkcon.  Very disappointing but, in view of the uncertainty around Corvid-19 and the increased medical risk for us, we just feel it wiser to forego our trip.

That means that I will not be able to help out at the kit building on Friday night. Darn.  I was really looking forward to that!!

We have, of course, paid our fee's and we do not expect nor want any reimbursement. The very best to all - stay well!!

Bob and Bettina Groh

Michael N6MST

There are 1323 confirmed COVID19 cases in the United States. That's an average of about 27 per US state. Admittedly that doesn't take into consideration disparities in state populations nor does it account for where the cases are actually located in the United States. California itself has about 200 of those cases. Everyone must do what they feel they need to do but I'm not letting a statistically non-existent virus tell me what to do. And I live in California!

Todd Carney <carneytf@...>

N6MST: You insult Bob and Bettina by implying they're being stupid, gullible, and paranoid. Also implying it's a "hoax" not to be taken seriously. Maybe that's not what you meant, so can you clarify?

Todd K7TFC

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 02:38 PM, Todd Carney wrote:
Maybe that's not what you meant, so can you clarify?
That is not what I meant.

Jim Sheldon

I just saw a notice by David Cripe on the 4SQRP Facebook Group that the board has cancelled Ozarkcon 2020.  Looks like Dayton ain’t gonna happen either as the Ohio governor just banned all large gatherings and conventions in the state.

Jim, W0EB

On Mar 12, 2020, at 6:39 PM, wa2cky <bob.groh@...> wrote:

My wife and I have decided that, despite signing up etc, we will not be going to the 2020 Ozarkcon.  Very disappointing but, in view of the uncertainty around Corvid-19 and the increased medical risk for us, we just feel it wiser to forego our trip.

That means that I will not be able to help out at the kit building on Friday night. Darn.  I was really looking forward to that!!

We have, of course, paid our fee's and we do not expect nor want any reimbursement. The very best to all - stay well!!

Bob and Bettina Groh

n4mj

May want to wait about saying Dayton (Xenia) won't happen.  That's in May, approximately 2 months away.  Lots can happen in 2 months.
73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

* On 2020 12 Mar 19:15 -0500, n4mj via Groups.Io wrote:
May want to wait about saying Dayton (Xenia) won't happen.  That's in
May, approximately 2 months away.  Lots can happen in 2 months.
Indeed. Some thought is that if this thing could grow exponentially
that there could be 8 million active cases in the US by mid-May. If,
again there is that two letter word, 10% require hospitalization,
healthcare will be strained just by this virus alone, not to mention
everything else they handle.

I note this not to cause alarm, but to say that everyone needs to
determine for themselves where the line between prudence and panic lies
and act accordingly. A week ago I was promoting and planning on
attending the Nebraska ARRL convention and hamfest in Lincoln, NE this
coming Saturday. By Monday I was having some second thoughts and as the
week wore on I was becoming more hesitant to the point that this morning
I had mostly decided not to go. That decision became moot when the
event was postponed until Halloween shortly after noon today.

My hesitation wasn't so much a concern for my own health as even though
I'm 56 I've no underlying health issues that concern others. My concern
was possibly unwittingly transmitting the virus to others. That may yet
still happen but it will only happen as a result of all of us in the
local community going about our daily business and life. That won't make
the illness any more pleasant!

I commend Bob for making his decision with the best available
information at hand. Despite not having conferences, conventions, or
hamfests for a while, we radio amateurs are blessed that we not only
have the Internet, but the entirety of amateur radio to stay in touch
and continue to play with safe in the knowledge that we can' transmit
the disease by doing so.

At some point there will be a sense of normalcy. Of that I am certain.

72, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

John - KK4ITX

I so much want to be able to attend the 4S event but connections from Florida in any manner do not seem to work at all and it’s a very long drive when I have to come back and then go to Minnesota !

All that aside, IMHO this “problem” has been blown way out of proportion to reality, yes if you are already in bad shape PLEASE TAKE PRECAUTIONS but otherwise it does not seem to be more than a bad cold for 80% of us.

Please don’t overreact, just wash your hands like your mother said and you’ll be OK.

This is 2020 not 1918 !

73,

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Mar 12, 2020, at 21:05, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@...> wrote:

[...]

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

John - KK4ITX

FLASH NEWS  !

New anti virus Lysol HF filter effective on on Straight Keys now available, other models for Paddles, Bugs and Sideswipers coming soon to a 7/11 near you..........

Asking price $29,000 but negotiable.

I understand your concerns but if you are over 70 you probably have lived through much, much worse than this event is and did not even know it because MEDIA was not in your face.

Take a deep breath, exhale.......

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Mar 12, 2020, at 21:30, John - KK4ITX via Groups.Io <jleahy00@...> wrote:

[...]

AndyH

Exponential growth being what it is, every month we wait means there's an 85 fold increase in the number of infections.
https://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy.html

You nailed it - an awful lot can happen in two months.  Behold the power of compounding.

73, Andy

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 07:14 PM, n4mj wrote:
May want to wait about saying Dayton (Xenia) won't happen.  That's in May, approximately 2 months away.  Lots can happen in 2 months.
73 de n4mj//glenn

Dennis Gaskill

I think OzarkCon is already canceled.
Am I right ?

Dennis KC0IFQ

John - KK4ITX

Correct, Ozarkcon 2020 will not happen.

John
KK4ITX

Click Here for Zephyrhills Area Amateur Radio Club
Many of life's failures are people who
did not realize how close they were to
success when they gave up.
       Thomas A. Edison

On Friday, March 13, 2020, 11:38:30 AM EDT, Dennis Gaskill <gaskilldg@...> wrote:

I think OzarkCon is already canceled.
Am I right ?

Dennis KC0IFQ

Johnny AC0BQ

This is Correct Dennis
72
Johnny

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jim Parks

How are refunds going to be handled??

73

Jim Parks  NY0J

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Jim
The pay pal customers will be refunded via pay pal.
Please be patient, Tom Brown is our treasurer and it will take a day or two to complete.

If you paid by Check, he will mail a refund check to your address on file.

Thanks for you patience.

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Tom Brown

OCon refunds will be issued through the PayPal account in which one submitted payment. Checks will be mailed to those who paid by check.

Refunds are in the process of being processed and expect to be completed before end of day.
73,
Tom W0MFQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jim Parks

Johnny,

Thanks for the quick reply. No worries about when the refund would be taken care of. I was just curious about how it would eventually be handled. I know this was a last minute decision and it will take time to get everything in order.

73

Jim Parks  NY0J

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Joshua Wood

I don't want to dog-pile on the hysteria (and social turmoil) of COVID-19, but:

In the last 30 days, China's infection rates have plateaued, and most are returning to work.  Johns Hopkins has a wonderful dashboard for data visualization that I recommend https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html.

If an 85 fold increase in infections holds true, in one month, 11 million people will have been infected - which is still only 0.0015% of the world population.
If an 85 fold increase in deaths holds true, in one month, 432,000 people will have died.  That's 2% of the number of people who died from the 1918 flu... and right in the average estimate for annual influenza deaths (per the WHO - https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/influenza-(seasonal) ), and the same number (approximately) who died from the 2009 H1N1 (swine-flu) outbreak ( https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22738893 ).
Hubei province of china, the origination of COVID-19, and the source of 60% of all deaths from it worldwide (3,062 as of this email) - has had a total of 67,786 confirmed cases.  Since it has a population of 58.5 million people, that works out to just over 0.1% of their population having been infected.
Italy, the next highest reporter has had 15,113 confirmed cases, and 1,016 deaths.  With a 2011 census of 59.4 million, that works out to 0.025% of their population having been infected.

I think everyone should use caution, take appropriate precautions, and most importantly - wash their hands.  I think everyone should make decisions for themselves on what they feel safe doing.  I also think these are the same things that most health care professionals have been saying - for every infectious disease - every year - for decades.

I'm saddened that Ozarkcon has been canceled - but if there's a silver lining - We'll all now be able to participate in the Missouri QSO party, it looks like!  I'm expecting quite a good showing in the QRP category!  (Rules are here:  http://w0ma.org/images/MOQP2020/MO-QSO-Party-Rules-2020.pdf )

~Josh
W0ODJ

P.S. - When will be able to purchase the Cric-Keys online?  I can't wait to add one to my Crickets!

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 3:13 AM AndyH <awhecker@...> wrote:
Exponential growth being what it is, every month we wait means there's an 85 fold increase in the number of infections.
https://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy.html

You nailed it - an awful lot can happen in two months.  Behold the power of compounding.

73, Andy

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 07:14 PM, n4mj wrote:
May want to wait about saying Dayton (Xenia) won't happen.  That's in May, approximately 2 months away.  Lots can happen in 2 months.
73 de n4mj//glenn

Timothy East

Johnny, does your wife have a call yet?

Tim

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

AndyH

Numbers can sometimes be slippery things.  Attempting to draw conclusions from incomplete data is fraught with even more time flat on the ice.

The 85-fold estimate came from a public health expert and was a prediction of one month's growth in the US - and only the US - infection rate. It is not valid to apply the US growth rate to the entire world.
Source:  https://youtu.be/IeQptwMbqlc?t=247
This link starts at about the 4 minute mark (after introductions). The following 14 minutes gives context for the 85 fold number.

The point is that the US is weeks behind much of the world, and about 2 weeks behind Italy.  Unlike Italy and most of the rest of the so-called 'developed world', we are not testing.  Two days ago only EIGHT tests were performed in the US as a whole (reported by The Hill).  There are reported to be about 40 cases in Florida, but those number aren't yet in the 'official' numbers being scraped to generate the dashboard at Johns Hopkins.  We're not testing, therefore our data are bad and that means conclusions of those data are invalid.

The attempted calculations for China and the rest of the world and the attempt to declare the flu has a higher death rate are not valid.  Why?  You began with 'confirmed cases', decided that reflected the actual number of  people "infected", and then used that number to determine the death rate.  Sorry - that doesn't work.  We don't know how many are infected.

Based on what we've seen so far from countries doing much better than the US, this virus is working through most of the population, it's killing between 2% and 45% of those with confirmed cases, and some of the people that recover have permanent lung damage (20-30% less lung function).
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-recovery-damage-lung-function-gasping-air-hong-kong-doctors-2020-3

  The death rate for the 1918/1919 H1N1 pandemic is reported to be 2.5%.  So far, using the numbers reported by the Johns Hopkins 'dashboard', the death rate for this pandemic is 3.5%.  Based on the wide range of data discrepancies (Iran digging mass graves, anyone?) and that this pandemic is less than 2 months old, I wouldn't be surprised if the rate is closer to 7%.
  This isn't the flu.  It's not a hoax.  Coronavirus doesn't care how we vote.  Nobody needs to panic, but it is a serious situation that should not be taken lightly.

73, Andy