Topics

RMR rpt

Dale Putnam

We had a good net today, with visibility of quarter mile in blowing and drifting snow, and a temp of 25F...

So the first check ins were welcome.. and it just got better as we went along.

K2HT, KE6OIO, KX5C, AI4VE, K)DTJ, WG0AT, R5ZZ...
with temps reporting from 63-65-35-25  and I know that last call can't be
right, so a correction is in order.

A couple of the stations were very adeptly relayed in by K2HT, and K0DTJ.. thank you.

Cu next Thurs...

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

Johnny AC0BQ

Nice net Dale
I have a question.
Last week I could almost hear you, but qsb made it rough. Although I could hear several checkin ops. What is the proper way to ask for a relay? Is their a Q code? I wanted to relay in, but didn't know how to?

We have 6 or 8 more inches of wet snow today and big drifts.
Heck if this wx keeps up I may get some projects finished !
Tnx

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013, Dale Putnam wrote:

We had a good net today, with visibility of quarter mile in blowing and drifting snow, and a temp of 25F...

So the first check ins were welcome.. and it just got better as we went along.

K2HT, KE6OIO, KX5C, AI4VE, K)DTJ, WG0AT, R5ZZ...
with temps reporting from 63-65-35-25  and I know that last call can't be
right, so a correction is in order.

A couple of the stations were very adeptly relayed in by K2HT, and K0DTJ.. thank you.

Cu next Thurs...

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

Dale Putnam

Hi Johnny,
  That's what I figure.. now, the more snow the better... and make it wet and deeeeeeep.
You can send the wind somewhere else, I wouldn't mind.

 I try to ask for relays... and I have a couple of stations that do pretty well with that to...
K2HT in MO.. or KE6OIO in CA... and the best way would be to simply call a station that is loud
to you.. with.. "XXXX de AC0BQ relay pse?"
They should then break the net.. and let me know.. that they can relay.. a station in..

IF that doesn't work, wait a bit.. and try another station...
same way.

I am working to get a decent antenna in the air... and all kidding aside.. the weather isn't helping much.

I just don't want to climb, with wind chill below zero. Had my hands freeze up... at 200 ft one time.. not fun...
They were just claw like... but I couldn't move my fingers.... it was a good thing I was done... cause I was done
for that day. Didn't much like that tower after that.

I guess you could always try an email... but I  seldom have email open during the net... but I could start watching for new stuff on my phone... I guess.
 I think a new antenna here will help out a lot.

Thank you Johnny,

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

To: 4sqrp@...; daleputnam@...
From: jomatlock@...
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:44:39 -0600
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] RMR rpt

[...]

Thanks Dale
I will give that a try when I have have a chance to check in. Stay warm
72
Johnny

To: 4sqrp@...; daleputnam@...
From: jomatlock@...
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:44:39 -0600

[...]

James Rodenkirch

What's being missed in all of this is that the fella submitting the original post asked, "What is the proper way to ask for a relay? Is their a Q code? I wanted to relay in, but didn't know how to?"

I know the answer but....it's not my place to "get involved," other than to refocus the "discussion."

Jim R. K9JWV

To: 4sqrp@...; daleputnam@...

From: jomatlock@...
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:44:39 -0600

[...]

Yep. there is a Q signal for pse relay... but this net is a casual net, and isn't supposed to use any Q signals except the QNI to check in.
However... if someone wants to check in... and uses Q signals to get it done.. that's ok too...
The problem may be, that the strong station may be an experienced op or may not be... and if he doesn't have the Q signal info...
it is a cause for frustration.
  If you check in through a relay Jim what would you do.. if you don't hear NCS.. .and don't recognize any of the calls other than
identifying the two you hear.. as being new ops?

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

To: 4sqrp@...; daleputnam@...
From: rodenkirch_llc@...
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 18:41:53 -0700

To: 4sqrp@...; daleputnam@...

From: jomatlock@...
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:44:39 -0600

[...]

Bill Cromwell

On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 18:52 -0700, Dale Putnam wrote:

Yep. there is a Q signal for pse relay... but this net is a casual
net, and isn't supposed to use any Q signals except the QNI to check
in.
However... if someone wants to check in... and uses Q signals to get
it done.. that's ok too...
The problem may be, that the strong station may be an experienced op
or may not be... and if he doesn't have the Q signal info...
it is a cause for frustration.
If you check in through a relay Jim what would you do.. if you don't
hear NCS.. .and don't recognize any of the calls other than
identifying the two you hear.. as being new ops?

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

Hi,

Learning the Q signals is pretty easy when you encounter them one at a
time. Apparently everybody now is familiar with "QNI".

73,

Bill KU8H

Nick-WA5BDU

Not used a lot these days but QSP? means "Will you realy to ____" and QSP means "I will relay to ____".

Might be applicable to say PSE QSP to try to get someone to relay you to the NCS if he's unable to copy. Probably would sent most to their Handbook or Google to see what QSP means though ...

72-

Nick, WA5BDU

Johnny AC0BQ

Thanks guys for the replies!
I didn't notice that I had sent my question to Dale and the group as well!
Oh well I guess it was informative and related to radio, and the net
is mostly QRP!
Sorry about that.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Nick-WA5BDU <nick-wa5bdu@...> wrote:
Not used a lot these days but QSP? means "Will you realy to ____" and
QSP means "I will relay to ____".

Might be applicable to say PSE QSP to try to get someone to relay you to
the NCS if he's unable to copy. Probably would sent most to their
Handbook or Google to see what QSP means though ...

72-

Nick, WA5BDU

Lee Mairs (SAG) <lmairs@...>

Snake -
As luck would have it, I got a call from DirecTV this evening.  As a good and loyal customer they are going to give me $500 worth of equipment including a Genie and a Mini-Genie and something akin to the Apple box that will allow me to see about 78 skazillion movies.  All for free, except for an additional $3 per month and a 24 month guaranteed contract.

They will install tomorrow morning.  Will let you know how it goes.
Dad