Scraping insulation off magnet wire for toroids

KF5CSW

Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

Lee

fine metal sandpaper - fold in half, pull the end of the wire through it a few times, and you are good to go............

Lee KX4TT

On Friday, 22 October 2021, 02:24:15 pm GMT-4, KF5CSW <rehabnurse63@...> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

KM6KJE

practice practice practice I had the same problem just had to keep going use a magnifying lamp or burn it I find the best way is to scarp it

On Friday, October 22, 2021, 11:24:17 AM PDT, KF5CSW <rehabnurse63@...> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

Ed - ad7gr

Hi John,

After scraping the wire as best as I can, I follow it up with sandpaper to remove the rest.

73,
Ed - ad7gr
Rev.14:6-12
1Cor.8:6
Eze.33:7

cornhusker

If the insulation is thick, I use a lighter to burn it off, then sandpaper or an emery board to get the blackened remains off and make it shiny copper.  I then tin it before mounting it on the board.
73 de K0NEB

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 1:43 PM, KM6KJE
<terry.schulz@...> wrote:
practice practice practice I had the same problem just had to keep going use a magnifying lamp or burn it I find the best way is to scarp it

On Friday, October 22, 2021, 11:24:17 AM PDT, KF5CSW <rehabnurse63@...> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

N5SE

I used one of the small Harbor Freight brake off knives with some success.  Most of the new kits and wire have the enamal the burns off as you solder it.  I always try to get new solderable enameled wire if possible.

Billy Wayne Moore

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

Paul Goemans

John,
  A lot of the modern “insulated magnet wire” is heat strippable. Scrape off what you can then start to “tin” the wire with your soldering pencil and solder. The rest of the insulation should melt off! You need to tin the wire well before soldering it in place anyway....

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

Jeffrey Parker

Try some sandpaper or emery cloth. I've had good luck with this technique.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021, 2:24 PM KF5CSW <rehabnurse63@...> wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

Shawn Reed

I should mention - best practice is not to scrape, or burn, or sandpaper. In the long run practice using a solder pot. Notice though, the color of the enamel often hints to the melting temperature of the coating . My solder pot does not work well for some enamel and I need to scrape. Draw the blade towards the wire end. Some magnification will show you how gentle you should be so as not to nick the wire, thus weakening it at that point. Until then...enjoy, as I do also. 73, kf7yff. sreed.

On Friday, October 22, 2021, 11:24:15 AM PDT, KF5CSW <rehabnurse63@...> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

Dave Benson

John-

My rule of thumb is that 8 passes with the blade is about right.   I think it does a better job than a soldering iron at 750F, but that's somewhat dependent on the manufacturer's choice of coatings.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 2:24 PM KF5CSW <rehabnurse63@...> wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

Douglas L

I used plumbing type emery cloth available at the Home Despot and other places.
It works great. I don’t like using any form of
knife because I don’t want to nick the wire.

73,
Doug/WA1TUT

<terry.schulz@...> wrote:
practice practice practice I had the same problem just had to keep going use a magnifying lamp or burn it I find the best way is to scarp it

On Friday, October 22, 2021, 11:24:17 AM PDT, KF5CSW <rehabnurse63@...> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

Jim Pruitt

https://www.zoro.com/knipex-4-34-in-wire-stripping-tweezers-58-in-15-11-120/i/G4782741/

These Knippex strippers work well for magnet wire stripping.  There are 2 other sizes of teeth (for smaller wire) available for purchase but the default bit works well.

Other places besides Zoro sell them but this was where I got one of mine.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021, 1:21 PM Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:
John-

My rule of thumb is that 8 passes with the blade is about right.   I think it does a better job than a soldering iron at 750F, but that's somewhat dependent on the manufacturer's choice of coatings.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 2:24 PM KF5CSW <rehabnurse63@...> wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

David Wilcox K8WPE

It takes maybe 15 or 20 swipes for me to clean it off 90% but this is a hobby and I am retired.  Sandpaper works too.  I favor my Knipex tool made for this kind of chore.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/)/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_C00RVTJKX26DEAD3T1JW

Dave K8WPE

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Oct 22, 2021, at 2:24 PM, KF5CSW <rehabnurse63@...> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

PhilKE3FL

Like Paul Goeman I use a soldering iron, only I use ONLY a soldering iron, The way I do it is to get a thick piece of cardboard
(I always have a large thick piece as a cover on my work bench) put solder on the tip of my iron and start at the point I want the solder/tinning to end and move slowly down the wire to the end of it adding a little solder, as needed to help it, melt & tin the wire at the same time.  I have found some wire, must be older, that this does not work well on, then I use those soft fine sanding sponges which can wrap around the wire, well at least fold in two over the wire.
--
73 de KE3FL
Phil Karras

Dale Putnam

and for me, my biggest concern as I clean the wire, to tin it, is that it has NO, not even the tiniest, nick in the surface of the wire. Because, any nick in wire, when bent, will increase in size until it breaks.

Have a great day,

Dale - WC7S in Wy

"Actions speak louder than words"

Like Paul Goeman I use a soldering iron, only I use ONLY a soldering iron, The way I do it is to get a thick piece of cardboard
(I always have a large thick piece as a cover on my work bench) put solder on the tip of my iron and start at the point I want the solder/tinning to end and move slowly down the wire to the end of it adding a little solder, as needed to help it, melt & tin the wire at the same time.  I have found some wire, must be older, that this does not work well on, then I use those soft fine sanding sponges which can wrap around the wire, well at least fold in two over the wire.
--
73 de KE3FL
Phil Karras
http://cs.yrex.com/ke3fl

Tom Sevart

On 10/22/2021 13:24, KF5CSW wrote:
Hi everyone!
I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.
Some magnet wire has enamel which will burn off when exposed to the heat of a soldering iron. Otherwise perhaps some steel wool or a brillo pad might clean it off.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

TONY G4WIF

I prefer to float a bubble of solder on the iron tip and pass the enamelled wire through that.
But if the enamel is really thick then I I position the wire between the flat of a needle file and my thumb and pull the wire through. A knife runs the risk of nicking the wire and breaking it.

72/3
Tony G4WIF

K7NIK

Try some fine sandpaper or some or  cloth sanding paper from the hardware store

On Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:24:15 PM MDT, KF5CSW <rehabnurse63@...> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

KM6KJE

that never works for me!

On Saturday, October 23, 2021, 09:43:09 AM PDT, K7NIK via groups.io <dek7nik@...> wrote:

Try some fine sandpaper or some or  cloth sanding paper from the hardware store

On Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:24:15 PM MDT, KF5CSW <rehabnurse63@...> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm making a toroid transformer. This is my first time.  I'm having a lot of trouble scraping away the necessary portions  of insulation from the 22 awg magnet wire. I'm using a Stanley Fatmax retractable utility knife(with fresh razor blade). It's not going very well. I miss a lot and have to do multiple attempts to get it all cleaned off, and was wondering if anybody had some tips.

73,
John
KF5CSW

KM6KJE

I think you are in the right direction by scraping KM6KJE 73