sidetone

Matthew Halsey

Forgive me if this has been asked before.
Is there a simple way to hear sidetone without the Soup’er Up’er?
I am considering getting a Bayou Jumper for Christmas while I pluck up courage to start my tube Paraset build. With the Paraset I believe there is a way to allow some Tx signal to bleed through to Rx circuit to provide for sidetone, and crystal spotting I assume?

Matt
KC3OIV

Ted

I took the wimpy route since I already had a CW filter in hand to add in, and didn't feel like spending $40 on the Souper kit. I took a 555 circuit and put it into the box so that (with diode isolation), a key-down creates some buzzing that is added to the headphone jack.  It's not really loud though it's audible enough to let me know that I'm sending.

In retrospect, having all in one that got 'er done might have been a good option instead of my DIY fine-tuner/sidetone/filter mods out of parts on hand.  I mean, if you have stuff available, you can do it but as kits go, the stock add-on would save a lot of trouble. What I would do is search this forum for frequency drift mods (foam insulation over D3) and for adding a TIP42 to the key circuit.

As a side note, I'm fairly new to POTA, fewer than a dozen activations, and I've used the B.J. three times. It's really, really interesting operating in the field with a radio that emulates exactly the sort of bare-bones, EFHW/EFLW conditions of the original prototype that this circuit design copies. Get the basic kit, try it as designed, and then see what aspect you want to change.

-Ted
K3RTA

Matthew Halsey

Ted,

Interesting.  I would also be looking to use it for POTA just for fun also.

Matt

On Oct 26, 2021, at 9:08 AM, Ted via groups.io <k3rta@...> wrote:

[...]

N7RKC, Mike

RE: SideTone.
I built a simple - battery powered Xtal tester.  I put the Xtal I am using that day in the tester and hold it close to the receiver.
Simple way to tune the receiver to the exact Frequency of the Xtal.
73 -  Michael Taylor - N7RKC

On Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 08:04:15 AM MDT, Matthew Halsey via groups.io <rftb_cowboy@...> wrote:

[...]

Here is yesterday's POTA setup for the first 14 or so contacts. The Statspolezei managed not to discover me in the midst of wireless operating, though their minions in the personages of "park maintenance workers" gave me an interested eye; I successfully fabricated a likely excuse and escaped serious scrutiny.

Johnny AC0BQ

That’s nice Ted.
It’s neat to see a Bayou Jumper doing POTA!
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Dave Benson

Ted-

Congratulations on that effort with the Bayou Jumper!

The nice thing about POTA and other programs like it...once you're 'spotted', crystal-control is no handicap- they'll come to you.

73- Dave, K1SWL

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Ted

Hi, Dave.

That's just it, right there - with spotting, they will flock.  I've taken to the upper end (7109, 7121) because of the relative lack of QRM.... save for the occasional Winlink signal bleating nearby. It seldom lasts long enough to be a real problem.

I'm sold on activating with this rig!  My regular go-to has been the Hilltopper-20, mainly because I keep that and sundries in a shoulder pack in the car (just like highway flares and MRE's).  About everybody activates on 20, though, and 40 seems to be attractive enough to seekers, by all accounts.

Great job on the radio, again.  I love it to pieces.

-ted
K3RTA

Dave Benson

Ted-

I'm typically sticking to 20M and using an EFHW antenna.  A buddy has had only modest success on 40M.  I think a good part of the difference is his 'casual' antenna and comparatively low power.

By contrast, I feel compelled to give my 12AH LiFePO4 battery a good workout on POTA activations. Don't tell anyone <g> but I'm running higher power on those adventures.  I want to be heard!  I'm sticking strictly to 5W from the home location, though.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 12:33 PM Ted via groups.io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi, Dave.

That's just it, right there - with spotting, they will flock.  I've taken to the upper end (7109, 7121) because of the relative lack of QRM.... save for the occasional Winlink signal bleating nearby. It seldom lasts long enough to be a real problem.

I'm sold on activating with this rig!  My regular go-to has been the Hilltopper-20, mainly because I keep that and sundries in a shoulder pack in the car (just like highway flares and MRE's).  About everybody activates on 20, though, and 40 seems to be attractive enough to seekers, by all accounts.

Great job on the radio, again.  I love it to pieces.

-ted
K3RTA

Adam

Hi Matt,

For the Paraset, I would only bleed through a low voltage to the 6V6 plate whilst the receiver is working, but only enough to oscillate the crystal. I wouldn't use it during operation becuase the 5 watts will overload the receiver and the Rx noise might disrupt you whilst sending. However I would only use that method to set up a NET switch for crystal spotting when tuning.

For a sidetone whilst sending, I'd leave the Paraset circuit as is and simply built a RF sniffer circuit with a 600Hz sidetone buzzer

Matthew Halsey

What about having a second receiver with essentially no antenna connected but that could still pick up the Tx signal?
If this was a basic DC Rx, would the oscillation interfere with the BJ Rx?  I'm guessing it probably would.

Matt

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021, 10:04:08 GMT-4, Matthew Halsey <rftb_cowboy@...> wrote:

[...]

Matt-

The best advice might be 'try it and see'.  You'll probably hear the local oscillator from a DC rig in the background.  The degree of DC-rig shielding and another consideration- mixer isolation-  will determine whether it's objectionable or not.

I hear the LO signal with a pair of KX-3s in close proximity in the field. Normally, they wouldn't both be operating in the same band, so it's not a typical situation.

73- Dave Benson, K1SWL

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 7:24 AM Matthew Halsey via groups.io <rftb_cowboy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Tom Sevart

I've seen a schematic for a universal sidetone in an old issue of SPRAT on the CD I have. It's an RF sensing circuit which turns on a buzzer. Might be of use in a radio without a sidetone.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Matthew Halsey

I came across a design from Helge Fykse on YouTube.

Matt

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021, 19:38:27 GMT-4, Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:

I've seen a schematic for a universal sidetone in an old issue of SPRAT
on the CD I have.  It's an RF sensing circuit which turns on a buzzer.
Might be of use in a radio without a sidetone.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

W6BOW

I came across a design from Helge Fykse on YouTube.

Matt

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021, 19:38:27 GMT-4, Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:

I've seen a schematic for a universal sidetone in an old issue of SPRAT
on the CD I have.  It's an RF sensing circuit which turns on a buzzer.
Might be of use in a radio without a sidetone.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Charles W. Powell

Me too (regarding higher power).  On park activations you want a lot of folks to hear you.  I have done a number of activations with 5 watts, but with conditions the way they are right now it's pretty frustrating to get more than a few contacts with QRP.  POTA only requires 10 contacts for a successful activation, but WWFF requires 44.

72,

Chas - NK8O

On 10/26/21 12:52 PM, Dave Benson wrote:
[...]

Well, everybody's day is different.  I logged a mess of contacts on 5 watts CW today, from 40 to 18 metres, I haven't digested it though it's more than I've logged yet for an activation.

A friend, KB3ZDM, showed up and I went QRO to a whole 20 watts so she could do SSB.  Pileup on 20 meters for over an hour, around 19:00z.

Not every day is like this with actual human conversations between Washington State to Puerto Rico, Maine to SoCal, and RBN hits in eastern Europe, from the middle eastern seaboard  I'm simply saying one can have a ball with stuff that one can carry with one arm bag or a briefcase, and a hand for a tower & tripod extra.  No doubt as the days get colder, I'll hide in the car and maybe add 120 watts to it.

-Ted
K3RTA

Justice will not come (to Athens) until those who are not injured are as indignant as those who are injured.

Thucydides

Dave Benson

Hi Ted-

Nice job all around! From the sound of it, you were doing a Parks on the Air activation.

With the cooler weather, I've moved my portable operations into the truck.  I use a small tabletop on the passenger side and operate from the driver's seat. It's pretty comfortable- more so than a table and chair outside.  My last outing on Friday yielded 82 CW contacts in an hour- what a blast!  The picture shows my truck backed up to a dead pine- the antenna support at a trailhead parking area. The temperature was 50F but I was perfectly comfortable without running the truck for heat.

I was using an IC-706MkIIg at 60 watts (don't tell anyone <g>). Power was supplied from a 12 AH Lithium Phosphate battery- it's good for several hours of operation at that power level.  The antenna was a 20M EFHW. I favor that in the field because only one support is needed.

For anyone 'on the fence' about doing this, give it a try!   It's a great way to hone your Field operating skills and a chance to experience the receiving end of a pileup.

73- Dave, K1SWL