Small QRP SSB?

Mlike McEwen

What would be a good small light weight SSB xcvr for pedestrian mobile...only 40 M is needed...low price is desirable...this is for my hiking pack...I have an antenna.

72 K5OSA

KG0DQ

Try MDT by OZQRP 40 meter dab 2 watts. Fine little rig I believe it’s $80.00.
73 KG0DQ, Stephen

Jim Long

Elecraft KX2

JIm

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

The only single band one for 40 meters that I know of that is available new right now is the MFJ-9440. Each model is a bit over $300 (prices vary by band for some reason), which feels like a lot to me for what you get.

Single band SSB rigs for 40 that have been available in the fairly recent past include the Bitx 40, Easy Bitx (returning soon in an updated version), and Pacific Antenna MMR-40.

Multiband rigs that can do SSB that are currently available include the Elecraft KX2 and KX3, Xiegu G90, X5105, and G1M, Radioddity QR20, Icom IC-705, Yaesu FT-818, uBITX, and more. The G1M and uBITX qualify as inexpensive (in the $200-$300 range).

If you are feeling adventurous, there are also some kits from Russia and China.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 8:42 PM Mlike McEwen <michael.t.mcewen@...> wrote:
What would be a good small light weight SSB xcvr for pedestrian mobile...only 40 M is needed...low price is desirable...this is for my hiking pack...I have an antenna.

72 K5OSA

Gwen Patton

CRKits.com has a small SSB kit. I have the 40m version, waiting to be built. It's an updated version of one of his older kits.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

Lee

I have the MFJ SSB 20m rig (MFJ-9420). It is a nice little single band rig with very crisp and clean audio. No artifacts or digital noise because it is all analog. I can recommend the design.

Lee KX4TT

On Thursday, 26 August 2021, 01:26:49 am GMT-4, Shirley Dulcey KE1L <mark@...> wrote:

[...]

James Shipley

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 8:51 AM Lee via groups.io <kx4tt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mike Polia

I have the 75M version of the MFJ.

Very nice rig.

You can read my review of it at EHAM:

Mike
AB1AW

On Thursday, August 26, 2021, 08:51:23 AM EDT, Lee via groups.io <kx4tt@...> wrote:

[...]

Matthew Halsey

I can highly recommend the G90.  While my main mode is CW, I occasionally go on SSB and always get positive remarks on the audio quality and get through pileups surprisingly easily with 20W.
You also get ALL HF bands and built in tuner for your money.

Matt
KC3OIV

On Aug 26, 2021, at 9:00 AM, Mike Polia via groups.io <ab1aw@...> wrote:

[...]

Thomas Martin

The DR 4020 if you look closely at the front is from Venus-tech you can go to www.venus-tech.com the have several types of radios listed. They are out of the DR4020.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 9:24 AM James Shipley <jamesshipley@...> wrote:

[...]

Derek Burrage

I looked at this on the OZQRP website, and found they now have a more capable, but larger DCT, which adds CW. However, both are direct conversion, Double Side Band (presumably suppressed carrier, but not SSB), so I doubt they would fit the requirements (the DCT at least can receive AM apparently). I recently build a Nouveau75a for AM and have heard some nets in the Mid-west, and apparently it is common in the North East, but I was intrigued that DSB might also be commonly used, at least in the Australian/NewZealand region. Anyone know if DSB-SC is used in the US? de Derek KF5CYN

ab3eo

I have the 6M version. Not HF, still a nice little radio, made quite a few contacts with it.

Rich - K3UJ

You missed an "i" https://www.venus-itech.com/