Solder filling vias Bayou Jumper

Mary and Steve Hill

Could some one share any tips on filling the vias with solder?  I am nervous about melting a hole in the PCB!  I am using an EDSYN 951SX,  15 – 220w solder station with a pencil tip. … How do I do this?  MNY TNX!  72  steve  NQ8T

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

cornhusker

I have the same soldering station.  My suggestion is using 63/37 solder when building the kit and for filling via, simply heat up the via while feeding a small bit of solder to it.  It doesn't take much to fill it.  63/37 flows a lot better, especially in the tiny holes.
73 de K0NEB

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 9:53 PM, Mary and Steve Hill
<hillsandm@...> wrote:

Could some one share any tips on filling the vias with solder?  I am nervous about melting a hole in the PCB!  I am using an EDSYN 951SX,  15 – 220w solder station with a pencil tip. … How do I do this?  MNY TNX!  72  steve  NQ8T

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jim, N5IB

You can just treat the via like soldering a component pad, but without the wire lead.

But it's really a belt-and-suspenders kind of thing.
If you're not comfortable with it, you can skip that step with no ill effects.

N5IB

Mary and Steve Hill

MNY TNX!  72  steve  NQ8T