Soldering station advice

Jeremy Utley

Hey everyone!

Looking for some advice. I want to get myself a *NICE* soldering station - i'm sick of the little pencil irons that never seem to hold their heat well, so I want to get something that's temperature controlled. Looking at Amazon, I've narrowed it down to a couple of possible options from Weller:

WTCPT 60W/120V Temp Controlled Soldering Station - http://www.amazon.com/WTCPT-Temperature-Controlled-Soldering-Station/dp/B00004W463

WESD51 Digital Soldering Station - http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WESD51-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B000ARU9PO/

I know a lot of you guys are experts at this, so if you were looking at a new soldering station right now, which would you choose? And if you have other suggestions, I'm all ears - but I'm looking for something that is going to last me a long time, so I prefer to stick with the bigger brands (like Weller).

Thanks for your input!

Jeremy, N9PH

See Everyone at Ozarkcon - just one week away!

Rick Bennett

Save some money and get the WES51.  We have several of these at work for many years and have had no problems with them.  Here is one for $100:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/WELLER-WES51-/96-1760

Rick Bennett
573-526-4842
Cel 573-645-7850

On Mar 29, 2013, at 5:26 PM, Jeremy Utley <jerutley@...> wrote:

[...]

Jay Bromley <jayw5jay@...>

HI Jeremy,
I have an old Weller EC2002M, must be over 20 years old now and still going
strong. I think the newer ones are made in Mexico and not sure about the
quality of those units.

Another soldering station to consider is the Hakko, have a look here:
http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=49&PID=5085&Page=1 I just bought one
for my number 2 daughter, so far nothing to report as she has been too busy
to use it. Sure looks like it is built nicely and priced right. Ordered it
factory direct, the folks are super friendly there. There are some cheaper
Hakko deals out there on the web, but the latest product FX-888D from them
is the digital model with the pre-sets. One thing I like besides the
presets is the ceramic element which should last a long time.

73 de w5jay/jay..

[...]

Tim N9PUZ

On 3/29/2013 5:26 PM, Jeremy Utley wrote:

Looking for some advice. I want to get myself a *NICE* soldering
station - i'm sick of the little pencil irons that never seem to hold
their heat well, so I want to get something that's temperature
controlled. Looking at Amazon, I've narrowed it down to a couple of
possible options from Weller:

WTCPT 60W/120V Temp Controlled Soldering Station -
http://www.amazon.com/WTCPT-Temperature-Controlled-Soldering-Station/dp/B00004W463

WESD51 Digital Soldering Station -
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WESD51-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B000ARU9PO/
I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Weller product. I would go for the WESD51 because its temperature is adjustable. The WTCPT is a great iron too, just not as flexible.

Tim N9PUZ

Sam Binkley <zut1369@...>

Jeremy,

I've been using a Hakko 936ESD station for 10+ years and I have been very satisfied with it.  Recently I ordered some new tips for it along with a conversion kit to convert my 907 iron to the 908 iron which uses tips with more mass.  The customer support I experienced during this order process was outstanding.  I realize the 936 station is no longer available but one of their new models such as:

should give excellent service as well.  Which ever station you decide on, good luck with your projects.

72,

Sam, AL7V

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Jeremy:
I bought a Hako grounded tip with nice temp controls.
I have had it 2or 3 years and have not had any problems.
Take a look on the web, nice prices on the plain Jane model.
Good luck

On Friday, March 29, 2013, Jeremy Utley wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for the suggestions!� Hakko FX-888D station and chisel tip (to go with the conical that comes with the iron) ordered from Amazon with free 2-day shipping (thank you Amazon Prime!) so should arrive Tuesday.� Maiden voyage with the new iron will be the Ozarkcon build session - really looking forward to the 4SLink device - will need something to go with my FT-817 for digital modes during camping trips this summer!

Jeremy, N9PH

See you guys Friday!

�

[...]

Wayne Dillon

Good choice Jeremy,
I work as a Calibration Technician in a cable shop and we use nothing but Hakko irons. We got some that are almost 20 years old and they're still going strong 18 hours a day 6 days a week.
God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Jeremy Utley <jerutley@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

Dan Reynolds

Depending on how much a hurry you are and what hamfests you have access to you might look around for a Metcal. I traded some stuff for one and it is the best solder station I've ever touched. I've used some high end Wellers and an old but good Unger (I'm not a tech or an expert). But the Metcal is a solid dependable setup. And is very expandable depending on which model you get.
I could NEVER afford to buy one new. But there are quite a few in the used market and especially with the downturn in the economy.
It is definitely the Rolls Royce of soldering stations...
73
Dan -- KB9JLO