Stickers for Bayou Jumper

KF0HOP

I have been gathering the additional items I will need to complete my Bayou Jumper kit once it gets back in stock.

I have just received my 3" x 3" clear stickers made up at stickermule dot com.  They are on clear stock that is thicker than stickers I have used in the past on my radio control aircraft.  They adhere with their own adhesive without the use of water.  Minimum order was ten for $21 and I used the attached jpg file.  I am using the spares to refine my technique by adhering the sticker to a scrap piece of wood and clear coating the wood.  I am going to try a few different products until I get the results I want.  Does anyone have advice on what product to use?

Tom
KF0HOP

g gusto

Have you tried clearcoating the bare wood. applying sticker then clearcoating again?

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022, 11:14 AM KF0HOP <tg_email@...> wrote:
I have been gathering the additional items I will need to complete my Bayou Jumper kit once it gets back in stock.

I have just received my 3" x 3" clear stickers made up at stickermule dot com.  They are on clear stock that is thicker than stickers I have used in the past on my radio control aircraft.  They adhere with their own adhesive without the use of water.  Minimum order was ten for $21 and I used the attached jpg file.  I am using the spares to refine my technique by adhering the sticker to a scrap piece of wood and clear coating the wood.  I am going to try a few different products until I get the results I want.  Does anyone have advice on what product to use?

Tom
KF0HOP

g gusto

Does anyone know what the original parasets were issued for antennas?

Jim, N5IB

Hi Tom,

Your self-adhesive stickers will probably behave a bit different compared to the water-transfer type.

But I'd recommend, as some one mentioned already, applying a couple coats of a clear finish first, with light sanding or steel wool after each coat. Then apply the sticker followed by a couple of overcoat layers.

The issue will be whether the solvent in your overcoats will attack the sticker base or its ink. The water-based MinWax PolyCrylic clear wood finish should be pretty kind to most inks and plastic carriers. I've used Rustoleum spray lacquer on the water-transfer (laser printed) ones and have not had any running as long as you start with one or two very light coats. The Krylon clear matte finish has also worked without damaging the decals. Clear nail polish, on the other hand, will quickly attack the inks if more than a very quick and light coat is applied.

BTW - the technique I use with water-transfer decals is to put two coats of the MinWax, lightly sanding each when good and dry. The put on a third coat and apply the decal onto the still wet third coat. Squeegee out any bubbles and let dry, then overcoat with a couple more layers. As you add more clear coats on top of the decal the edges gradually become less and less visible.

When applying the decal to the panel of the rig I do the normal water transfer onto a clean dry panel, let it dry overnight, then do a couple light lacquer overcoats. I make a little "window" mask of stiff paper and hold it an half inch or so above the panel when spraying, so that the margins of the sprayed area are feathered a bit. If course you could just spray the whole panel - but be careful not to get any spray onto the bare metal areas on the bottom of the panel, since those are used to carry ground from the top panel to the main board.

Be sure to post some pictures of your finished rig, and do them over on the Bayou Jumper group too.

Jim, N5IB

Ted

The Whaddon Mark VII is said to have come with a 100ft end-fed.  Being tube finals and not having to convert to low, Coax impedance, the match was achieved during the TX tuning process.  Something like that, anyway.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80195811?

William Franklin

First, thanks for the shout-out my trying to help Bill VanKirk with his N75 problem.  He nailed it down to a defective chip and got it going.  Second, being the ham that I am, while I'm waiting for the Bayou Jumper to again become available, I decided to see if I could come up with a more retro looking tuning knob for the receiver.  I found a knob closely resembling the smaller knobs and have just about finished making up a dial on the computer.  I'll atch a pix of two of my knobs with the dial - I kinda like the one on the left better.  Have also just built the EFHW from ARRL - I won a gift certificate at a recent hamfest.  One question, are check-ins on the CW nets using their QRP rigs or something a little more powerful?

73, Bill, K5WB