T41 Update

K9HZ

I don't think the software side will be the issue since to date Jack and Al are the only ones working on that part of the radio with some suggestions from the rest of the group.  The hardware seems to evolve much more rapidly and involve many more people and obviously much harder to track and incorporate changes.  I suspect you are right, it will evolve over time, but the fear is that at some point you become quite dated if you don't keep up.

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On Nov 29, 2022, at 6:21 PM, AG1P Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

Our Bayou Jumper is on its fourth iteration, with changes mostly driven by user suggestions and comments. I expect the T41 will have similar life. If there are desired coding changes, our code will be available to people so they can experiment. After all, isn’t that Jack and Al’s vision for the kit? If with agreement with Jack and Al, if there is a version deemed production-ready, we will make the changes and post on the T41 kit page.

72 - Ron - AG1P

Ron… there is a very active group of experimenters working to enhance the T41 project.  What are your plans to follow and incorporate some/ all/ none of these changes to the kit moving forward?

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On Nov 29, 2022, at 3:32 PM, AG1P Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

GA to the group,

I thought it time for a progress update on our new T41 kit.

Al and one other beta builder have completed their builds and now performing testing. The other beta builders are close to completion. We think we have the minor issues resolved, depends on how testing goes. We anticipate having a revised BOM in next 2-3 weeks and orders placed for parts not already ordered. With the Covid outbreak in China, we are expecting delays and now anticipate making the kit available in early February. The date depends on the responsiveness of the parts and board vendors. The parts are purchased from US vendors and the pre-populated boards come from the board house in China that we regularly deal with. If the US vendors have long backorder or delivery times, we may need to purchase from a foreign vendor which would extend parts ship times. We also have US holidays and possibly Chinese New Year to contend with.

We appreciate your patience. We are as frustrated as you, maybe more, over the delays in getting parts. We wanted to have the kit available last week but it isn’t in the cards. Be assured we are working as hard as we can to make this awesome kit available to you.

72 - Ron - AG1P

4SQRP Volunteer Secretary/Treasurer

4SQRP Volunteer Webmaster

AG1P Ron

Your concerns are valid however as people do hardware changes to their own kits, there will be a myriad of different variations. It will be difficult to determine which variation is the optimum one. We have to choose our changes wisely and stick with one version as the kit matures. We are a small non-profit and cannot afford to maintain a number of different variations, especially when a run costs well over $20,000.  We will be tapping reserves to do this and put on an in-person OzarkCon 2023.  But doing so is very exciting to us from a hobby perspective, falls within our published mission and we are more than willing to take the chance.

This is an experimenter’s kit.  We are an all-volunteer organization with limited resources so will provide a baseline, as up to date as possible, upon which many can either enjoy the rig as-is or experiment with it. That is Al and Jack’s vision and we intend to work closely with them to see it comes to fruition. We will provide support for our version. For the people who go off in other directions, there is Jack and Al’s reflector, where people today get support for their experiments from the community of builders and from what I see, it is very effective.

72 - Ron - AG1P