Topics

The Friendly Group

davemrtn <davemrtn@...>

The "Friendly Group", as long as you only talk about what the moderator allows !!!

Wherever I go, there He is.
Psalms 111:10
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
Neither Time nor Energy can be Recycled or Reused, don't waste either.

- - - Goodbye Mitt Romney - - -

J.K. Wright

Dave - You have a choice. There are plenty of sites that welcome politics. You can find "the friendly bunch" everyday on 75 meter ssb - 3921 or thereabouts. It's their frequency, just askem. That's their version of freedom!

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020, 11:47 AM davemrtn <davemrtn@...> wrote:

The "Friendly Group", as long as you only talk about what the moderator allows !!!

Wherever I go, there He is.
Psalms 111:10
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
Neither Time nor Energy can be Recycled or Reused, don't waste either.

- - - Goodbye Mitt Romney - - -

Jeff Collins

Dear David,

    That is why there is a Moderator to keep things on topic.

    Getting ready to turn on the IC-7300 and try some digital for the first time ever.

    Thhheeennnn....going to attempt to learn Code again (like for the 4th time). Not sure if I will ever learn code. But I will give it another 6 months before throwing in the towel again for awhile.

    Once I get past 4 or 5 letters they just blend together no matter what speed I try to learn at.

Thank you,

Jeffrey R. Collins - W7GRV
FCC(SW) USN, Ret.
BS, EMT-P, FF I/II

On 3/14/2020 10:47 AM, davemrtn wrote:

The "Friendly Group", as long as you only talk about what the moderator allows !!!

Wherever I go, there He is.
Psalms 111:10
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
Neither Time nor Energy can be Recycled or Reused, don't waste either.

- - - Goodbye Mitt Romney - - -

keith ford

If we were closer I could teach you code in about 30 days time.

On Saturday, March 14, 2020, 11:18, Jeff Collins <w7grv@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim N9PUZ

On 3/14/2020 11:18 AM, Jeff Collins wrote:
Thhheeennnn....going to attempt to learn Code again (like for the 4th time). Not sure if I will ever learn code. But I will give it another 6 months before throwing in the towel again for awhile.

    Once I get past 4 or 5 letters they just blend together no matter what speed I try to learn at
Jeff --

The Spring sessions of the (free) CWOps instructor led courses begin in April. I've taken both their introductory and beginner courses and found them to very useful. You still have to be willing to put in the effort but they have a format that works. The instructor from my first class posted a message on Facebook this morning that there are still openings.

CW Academy https://cwops.org/

Tim N9PUZ

Bob Parr

I took the Beginner class this last time and it was a really good method, but you have to put in about an hour a day.  more it better.

Bob

> On 3/14/2020 11:18 AM, Jeff Collins wrote:
>> Thhheeennnn....going to attempt to learn Code again (like for the
>> 4th
>> time). Not sure if I will ever learn code. But I will give it
>> another
>> 6 months before throwing in the towel again for awhile.
>>
>>   Once I get past 4 or 5 letters they just blend together no
>> matter
>> what speed I try to learn at
>>

> Jeff --
>
> The Spring sessions of the (free) CWOps instructor led courses
> begin in
> April. I've taken both their introductory and beginner courses and
> found
> them to very useful. You still have to be willing to put in the
> effort
> but they have a format that works. The instructor from my first
> class
> posted a message on Facebook this morning that there are still
> openings.
>
> CW Academy https://cwops.org/
>
> Tim N9PUZ

Jeff Collins

Dear Tim,

    My Internet connection will not support that class right now. I can barely watch a YT Video.

    But we might be moving soon with better Internet. Our house has been sold and we have made an offer on a new place.

Thank you,

Jeffrey R. Collins - W7GRV
FCC(SW) USN, Ret.
BS, EMT-P, FF I/II

On 3/14/2020 12:48 PM, Tim N9PUZ wrote:
On 3/14/2020 11:18 AM, Jeff Collins wrote:
Thhheeennnn....going to attempt to learn Code again (like for the 4th time). Not sure if I will ever learn code. But I will give it another 6 months before throwing in the towel again for awhile.

    Once I get past 4 or 5 letters they just blend together no matter what speed I try to learn at
Jeff --

The Spring sessions of the (free) CWOps instructor led courses begin in April. I've taken both their introductory and beginner courses and found them to very useful. You still have to be willing to put in the effort but they have a format that works. The instructor from my first class posted a message on Facebook this morning that there are still openings.

CW Academy https://cwops.org/

Tim N9PUZ

Michael N6MST

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 11:07 AM, Jeff Collins wrote:
My Internet connection will not support that class right now. I can barely watch a YT Video.
Hi Jeff,
My father-in-law is about to start his first CW Academy and has ZERO code experience. I have taken two of the CWA classes and highly recommend them but I get your internet connection won't work for the actual class sessions. I suggested to my FIL he do a "pre-study" of the material provided for CWA students. Honestly, if you can do self-study you can learn code using just the homework from the CWA. You won't get the procedural stuff that gets discussed in class but you can definitely learn code doing this. Below is the email I sent to him last week describing how to do this, he really is new to radio and not the best with computers so I kinda spelled everything out for him in detail. Good luck!

Here's what you do! First CLICK THIS LINK and read the first five pages. This document is all the formal homework you will have for the entire eight weeks. If you follow the instructions and work on these session assignments for 30 minutes every day you will be picking up Morse code with no problems. Each week you will go through two sessions when you are in the actual class so I would shoot for a similar schedule while you are doing your pre-studying, but if you have to do only one session per week that is fine too.

For your homework you will use the Morse Trainer website for the "Copying segments" practice and you will use your paddle and radio (with BK-IN turned OFF like we set up yesterday) to practice the "Sending segments" that are found in the homework document for whichever session you are on.

On the Morse Trainer website you will see your Sound Controls on the right hand side. When I did my first class I had them set as: Pitch: 600, Speed: 20, Farnsworth speed: 12 and you can change these however you like. I suggest you modify the Pitch frequency to something that is pleasing to your ear but leave the other two at 20 and 12. Farnsworth speed is the speed between letters and words, so you can listen to letters sent at 20 words per minute but the spaces in between letters is longer so it is easier to hear the individual letters and your brain can learn fast letters easier. Once your Sound Controls are set you can add your information into the "Personalisation" box toward the top of the page. The website automatically works your personal details into some of the practice toward the end of the class, that's what the Personalisation area is for. Once your info and controls are set it is time to practice! Scroll down and select the session you wish to work on. Obviously the first time you do this you will work on session 1. Below that you will hopefully see the "Copying" tab selected. Make sure the volume on your computer is up and hit the "Play" button. The first time I would do this WITHOUT headphones so you don't accidentally blow your eardrums out! Switch to headphones once you verify the audio level is acceptable. Use the Play, Pause, Stop controls as well as the Previous or Next controls to navigate through the session and practice at least two 15 minute practices every day!

If you do the homework as outlined and you make the effort every day you WILL learn Morse code and during your class sessions you WILL learn how to operate your radio on the air using the CW mode. Working CW on the air is much more than just knowing Morse code and that is one of the main jobs of your instructor, to work with you to teach you the procedures and common practices that are used in ham radio. You will do copying and sending practice in class but you will spend  time discussing the procedural stuff too. You'll also spend a bit of time getting to know your other classmates and I suggest you take advantage of that opportunity and really make an effort to be social and participate in the class. I have learned a LOT from classmates as well as other hams on the air. Damn near everyone in ham radio is extremely helpful and there is a ton of knowledge floating around.