Transceivers?

Mlike McEwen

OK, I realize this is not exactly a new topic, but I would appreciate your suggestions...

I want a qrp transceiver for very portable operations keeping in mind the following: I will want to work 20 and/or 40 SSB most of the time...my code skill is minimal.  Cost is a major factor.  Size is not important as long as it is lunchbox or smaller.  The big name txcvrs are way beyond my budget. I realize that this is probably combining a lot of not-so-compatible factors, but wisdom from the Group is definitely appreciated
72/72 Doc K5OSA

Ryan Flowers

Hi Mike,

Check outi the Easy BITX. There are also many BITX40's floating around that people never got around to building. I'm hoping that at some point I can make a PCB for a custom BITX board of my own but that's a next year project.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 10:37 AM Mlike McEwen <michael.t.mcewen@...> wrote:
OK, I realize this is not exactly a new topic, but I would appreciate your suggestions...

I want a qrp transceiver for very portable operations keeping in mind the following: I will want to work 20 and/or 40 SSB most of the time...my code skill is minimal.  Cost is a major factor.  Size is not important as long as it is lunchbox or smaller.  The big name txcvrs are way beyond my budget. I realize that this is probably combining a lot of not-so-compatible factors, but wisdom from the Group is definitely appreciated
72/72 Doc K5OSA

Lee

I have a MFJ-9420; I like the crisp analog audio on it. Nice rig. 10-12W PEP on 20 all day and night. I played with a Xiegu G90 and was impressed by the rig, but I was on CW; I would note that the 20w is ~+1 S unit from 5 watts and can be helpful. Depending on the coin you have, you might pick up an older rig like a FT-817 or IC-703 and get good service from that.

73 de Lee KX4TT

On Tuesday, 19 October 2021, 01:37:08 pm GMT-4, Mlike McEwen <michael.t.mcewen@...> wrote:

OK, I realize this is not exactly a new topic, but I would appreciate your suggestions...

I want a qrp transceiver for very portable operations keeping in mind the following: I will want to work 20 and/or 40 SSB most of the time...my code skill is minimal.  Cost is a major factor.

72/72 Doc K5OSA

Curt

Doc

Many of us enjoy the ubitx from hfsignals. The latest version requires less assembly. Covers 80 to 10 meters. Easily the lowest cost for multiband. Less than a used K2.

Curt

Dale (KB9JJA)

A lot of the guys in my area have been working POTA with the XIEGU G90. It does 20 watts on SSB on all bands. For $440.00 you have everything you need including a built in tuner other than a power source. It not light, but I think it would meet your lunch box size.

Dale

Everett Catlin

Hi Dale

I have been operating portable from our park with a Bayou Jumper, and a PFR3. Have good results with both.