From: "bobby" <rolph981@...>
To: <4sqrp@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 8:48 AM
Subject: [4sqrp] Tuner

|I was wondering if some of you could comment on what is your favorite tuner
for QRP work in the field. I use a MFJ 901B and it works great but it is not
really backpack friendly. I just thought that this might make a good topic for
discussion.
| Tnx
| kb4qnr
| Bobby

Wayne Dillon

Bobby,
I have 4 "favorites",  first up would be either the ZM-2 balanced tuner or the BLT balanced tuner, small lightweight and either will tune my W3EDP from '80 to '10. Next up would be my Hendrix SLT but this requires you carry specific lengths of wire/counterpoises, My absolute favorite auto tuner would be the Elecraft T1. This is an absolutely amazing tuner, never fails to amaze me as to what it will tune. I got switched on to the T1 after reading some of Jim Cluett's adventures with his various radios and the T1 ( http://www.w1pid.com/ ). I also have an MFJ-901B, I like it a lot but not for hiking :)
You're right, this should make an interesting thread...
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM, bobby <rolph981@...> wrote:

I was wondering if some of you could comment on what is your favorite tuner for QRP work in the field. I use a MFJ 901B and it works great but it is not really backpack friendly. I just thought that this might make a good topic for discussion.
Tnx
kb4qnr
Bobby

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

Bill Cromwell

On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 14:48 +0000, bobby wrote:

I was wondering if some of you could comment on what is your favorite
tuner for QRP work in the field. I use a MFJ 901B and it works great
but it is not really backpack friendly. I just thought that this might
make a good topic for discussion.
Tnx
kb4qnr
Bobby

I have never been able to beat a home made L-network and a hank of wire
held up by whatever skyhook is available. Lots of bang for the buck.
Sounds too simple. For complicated - see other posts.

73,

Bill KU8H

Walter - K5EST

Since my rigs have an swr bridge, my favorite commercial field
antenna tuner is the MFJ-16010. Its an L-match so hi and lo Z
are no problems, just reverse the input/outputs.

Also have a small homebrew L-match that sometimes goes to
the field.

73....Walter - K5EST

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM, bobby <rolph981@...> wrote:

I was wondering if some of you could comment on what is your favorite tuner for QRP work in the field. I use a MFJ 901B and it works great but it is not really backpack friendly. I just thought that this might make a good topic for discussion.
Tnx
kb4qnr
Bobby

Dale Putnam

I enjoy using the BLT, with extended range to get to 80. That way, no matter what radio I take with me
I always have an swr indicator, and a match.

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

To: 4sqrp@...
From: walter.k5est@...
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 09:21:23 -0600
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] Tuner

Since my rigs have an swr bridge, my favorite commercial field
antenna tuner is the MFJ-16010. Its an L-match so hi and lo Z
are no problems, just reverse the input/outputs.

Also have a small homebrew L-match that sometimes goes to
the field.

73....Walter - K5EST

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM, bobby <rolph981@...> wrote:

I was wondering if some of you could comment on what is your favorite tuner for QRP work in the field. I use a MFJ 901B and it works great but it is not really backpack friendly. I just thought that this might make a good topic for discussion.
Tnx
kb4qnr
Bobby

David Bixler <qrp@...>

Hi Bobby and the gang:

If your transceiver does not have an internal tuner (like the Elecraft K1 transceiver) I'd suggest that the Emtech ZM-2 would be my choice. It's a Z-match tuner and works well on 80 to 15 meters which is the range you will be most likely be using in the field.

http://emtech.steadynet.com/zm2.shtml

If you are concentrating on one or two bands and want to use a half-wave wire, a homebrew EFHW tuner is very compact. Here's my version for 40 and 20 meters:

http://w0ch.com/field_antenna/field_antenna.htm

Good topic!

73, Dave W0CH

**

I was wondering if some of you could comment on what is your favorite
tuner for QRP work in the field. I use a MFJ 901B and it works great but it
is not really backpack friendly. I just thought that this might make a good
topic for discussion.
Tnx
kb4qnr
Bobby

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

Mike-WE0H

I use my LDG auto tuner with a 44' doublet fed with twinlead and a balun with a 10' length of RG-58 to the tuner. Perfect for 40m thru 6m.
Mike-WE0H

bobby rolph

Thanks for all of the great response on my tuner question. This gives me new input to ponder on!
Bobby
kb4qnr