moderated Tuner - Ground and Wire

Doug Dukes

So on the Tuner Kit.  Can anyone tell me what it is that is supposed to be attached to the Ground and Wire (red and black) connectors on the tuner?   and WHY?

Thanks

de W5DMD

davemrtn

According to QRZ, you have an extra class license !!

David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar. -----------------------------------------
Wherever I go, there He is.

On 4/7/2021 9:09 AM, Doug Dukes wrote:
So on the Tuner Kit.  Can anyone tell me what it is that is supposed to be attached to the Ground and Wire (red and black) connectors on the tuner?   and WHY?

Thanks

de W5DMD

Bob Parr

Thanks David, that was very helpful!

Doug, I assume you know the back is ground, and am gussing your question is what the black goes to, and it grounds to the chassis.  The red connector is identified in the instructions.

Bob

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 4/7/2021 9:17:49 AM
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Tuner - Ground and Wire

David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar. -----------------------------------------

Thanks

de W5DMD

davemrtn

Surely the manual would have explained that if somebody had just read it.

On 4/7/2021 9:33 AM, Bob Parr wrote:

Doug, I assume you know the back is ground, and am gussing your question is what the black goes to, and it grounds to the chassis.  The red connector is identified in the instructions.

Bob

Thanks

de W5DMD

Bob Parr

Thank you oh wise one for more helpful information.

Bob

Sent: 4/7/2021 11:26:51 AM

Bob

Thanks

de W5DMD

W3BNO

The black ground terminal does not get a wire. It's connection to ground is made through the back panel ground plane. The solder mask is not covering the area around the mounting hole. The red terminal connects via a short wire to the ANT BNC center pin terminal wire on the bottom of the top PC board.
W3BNO

On Apr 7, 2021, at 9:17 AM, davemrtn <davemrtn@...> wrote:

Thanks

de W5DMD

Dave Benson

It would- and stop calling me Shirley.

Sorry- couldn't resist!

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:26 PM davemrtn <davemrtn@...> wrote:

Bob

Thanks

de W5DMD

Tim N9PUZ

Doug,

Please ignore the smart alecks in the group. I'm sure there are plenty of things they may not know but are too proud to ask.

One think that may not be obvious from the manual is that you can use either the BNC connector for a coax fed antenna or the binding posts if your wire antenna is attached directly to the 4S Tuner. You should choose which ever method is appropriate for your application.

Once the tuner has been built, if you choose binding posts, the black binding post may be connected to your station ground or possibly to a counterpoise wire if you are in a portable situation. The red post connects to your antenna wire. You will probably find some lengths work better than others. I don't want to speculate not knowing what you are trying to accomplish.

Tim N9PUZ
Amateur Extra who still learns something new nearly every day
(aka, also the 4SQRP Mail List Moderator)

Thanks

de W5DMD