Topics

US supplied Vietnam Village VHF handheld QRP radios....

Jerry Brown

Gang,

Recollections after a visit to the Fair Radio website today!

From my time living in El Paso, TX (Ft Bliss); I was active duty and training in internal medicine at the Army hospital there.

Hams friends there got their first solar powered repeater up and running....at 7,200 feet+,  on North Mt Franklin!
A Texas Air National Guard Chinook took the concrete enclosure for the repeater to the peak for them.

Check out the QST (cover) article on this repeater written by Roy Gould, N5RG,  that
was published in Jan 78 QST (you may have to be an ARRL member to get this article).....

The village VHF radios my roommate Steve Guerra WB5LCN  used for building the repeater RX/TX modules
are now being sold at Fair Radio. The Hallicrafters plant in El Paso that made these radios closed in 1974.

73,
Jerry N4EO, ex-WA4GKO, ex-YI9EO, ex-HL9EO
Ret'd US Army

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Jerry
Pretty neat article!
Thanks for sharing.
Take care stay well.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 2:02 PM Jerry Brown <n4eobrown@...> wrote:
Gang,

Recollections after a visit to the Fair Radio website today!

From my time living in El Paso, TX (Ft Bliss); I was active duty and training in internal medicine at the Army hospital there.

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

keith ford

Just a question?  Were those am or fm radios?

keith

Jerry Brown

Keith,

I never say anything other than FM versions in the rigs that ended up with hams out of
the El Paso Hallicrafters factory that closed in 1974.

73,

Jerry N4EO

7

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:38 PM keith ford via groups.io <kf4tap=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Just a question?  Were those am or fm radios?

keith

Jerry Brown

But this link specifies that there were units that were AM for 30-40 mHz.

http://militaryradio.com/spyradio/village.html

They were very similar in external appearance.

73,

Jerry N4EO

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 4:24 PM Jerry Brown via groups.io <n4eobrown=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Keith,

I never say anything other than FM versions in the rigs that ended up with hams out of
the El Paso Hallicrafters factory that closed in 1974.

73,

Jerry N4EO

7

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:38 PM keith ford via groups.io <kf4tap=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Just a question?  Were those am or fm radios?

keith

Francis Thompson

AM and some had a small PA system built in for a village speaker.
I repaired some from my base in PhuLoi.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

w9ran

On 9/26/2020 4:28 PM, Jerry Brown wrote:
AM for 30-40 mHz.
Correct.   The HT-1E and HT-2 (the one shown in the original post) were AM transceivers, the HT-2 having an additional VHF converter that allowed it to hear AM transmissions from the aircraft band.    I converted a pair of them to 6 meter AM many years ago and used them at hamfests.   As-is they would slide down to 10 meters but I wanted 6 meters which was a lot more work.  The problem nowadays is finding crystals or a substitute that will fit in the housings.

Cool cold war relics along with the rest of the Village Radio series that turn up from time to time when a warehouse is cleaned out.

73, Bob W9RAN

keith ford

Thanks for the answer. Keith

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad