Topics

Voltages for the Hilltopper 40

Jim Long

Have built a Hilltopper 40 and it seems dead.  Is there any published information showing voltages through the circuit?

Jim, WW9H

Charles W. Powell

Jim,

I notice no one has responded to your message.  Dead, as in no receive?  Dead as in no transmit?

I had a problem with two of the Hilltoppers I built with the BS-170 that switches T/R not switching back to receive.  Give a few more details on the problem.

72,

Charles - 5H3DX
NK8O

On Mar 24, 2020, at 4:02 AM, Jim Long <jphiliplong@...> wrote:

Have built a Hilltopper 40 and it seems dead.  Is there any published information showing voltages through the circuit?

Jim, WW9H

W9QS

Hi Charles,

I have a newly built Hilltopper 20 and seems to be dead on receive.   Transmit works and I hear the sidetone.  What did you find with the T/R switch transistor?   Thanks in advance.

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 12:00 AM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

Jim,

I notice no one has responded to your message.  Dead, as in no receive?  Dead as in no transmit?

I had a problem with two of the Hilltoppers I built with the BS-170 that switches T/R not switching back to receive.  Give a few more details on the problem.

72,

Charles - 5H3DX
NK8O

On Mar 24, 2020, at 4:02 AM, Jim Long <jphiliplong@...> wrote:

Have built a Hilltopper 40 and it seems dead.  Is there any published information showing voltages through the circuit?

Jim, WW9H

Charles W. Powell

It’s Q1.  If you remove it and the receiver comes to life, you’ve found the problem.  Don’t transmit without it but I had two Hilltoppers with this problem.  It might have something to do with the characteristic of the individual transistor.

72,

Charles

On Apr 2, 2020, at 4:53 AM, W9QS via groups.io <mbroga@...> wrote:

Hi Charles,

I have a newly built Hilltopper 20 and seems to be dead on receive.   Transmit works and I hear the sidetone.  What did you find with the T/R switch transistor?   Thanks in advance.

Mike, W9QS

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 12:00 AM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

Jim,

I notice no one has responded to your message.  Dead, as in no receive?  Dead as in no transmit?

I had a problem with two of the Hilltoppers I built with the BS-170 that switches T/R not switching back to receive.  Give a few more details on the problem.

72,

Charles - 5H3DX
NK8O

On Mar 24, 2020, at 4:02 AM, Jim Long <jphiliplong@...> wrote:

Have built a Hilltopper 40 and it seems dead.  Is there any published information showing voltages through the circuit?

Jim, WW9H

W9QS

Thanks for the hint.  Q1 is just fine.  After re-examining the solder side with my magnifier (old 78 year old eyes) I found a missed Solder  joint.   Works as it should.  Now to make some contacts.

On Thursday, April 2, 2020, 12:53 AM, Charles W. Powell via groups.io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

[...]

Hongera bwana! (Congratulations, sir!)

Have fun.  Such a cool little radio.

72,