Topics

Voltages for the Hilltopper 40

Jim Long

Have built a Hilltopper 40 and it seems dead.  Is there any published information showing voltages through the circuit?

Jim, WW9H

Charles W. Powell

Jim,

I notice no one has responded to your message.  Dead, as in no receive?  Dead as in no transmit?

I had a problem with two of the Hilltoppers I built with the BS-170 that switches T/R not switching back to receive.  Give a few more details on the problem.

Charles - 5H3DX
NK8O

On Mar 24, 2020, at 4:02 AM, Jim Long <jphiliplong@...> wrote:

Have built a Hilltopper 40 and it seems dead.  Is there any published information showing voltages through the circuit?

Jim, WW9H

W9QS

Hi Charles,

I have a newly built Hilltopper 20 and seems to be dead on receive.   Transmit works and I hear the sidetone.  What did you find with the T/R switch transistor?   Thanks in advance.

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 12:00 AM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

Jim,

I notice no one has responded to your message.  Dead, as in no receive?  Dead as in no transmit?

I had a problem with two of the Hilltoppers I built with the BS-170 that switches T/R not switching back to receive.  Give a few more details on the problem.

Charles - 5H3DX
NK8O

Jim, WW9H

Charles W. Powell

It’s Q1.  If you remove it and the receiver comes to life, you’ve found the problem.  Don’t transmit without it but I had two Hilltoppers with this problem.  It might have something to do with the characteristic of the individual transistor.

Charles

On Apr 2, 2020, at 4:53 AM, W9QS via groups.io <mbroga@...> wrote:

Hi Charles,

I have a newly built Hilltopper 20 and seems to be dead on receive.   Transmit works and I hear the sidetone.  What did you find with the T/R switch transistor?   Thanks in advance.

Mike, W9QS 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 12:00 AM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

Jim,

Charles - 5H3DX
NK8O

Jim, WW9H

W9QS

Thanks for the hint.  Q1 is just fine.  After re-examining the solder side with my magnifier (old 78 year old eyes) I found a missed Solder  joint.   Works as it should.  Now to make some contacts.

On Thursday, April 2, 2020, 12:53 AM, Charles W. Powell via groups.io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

It’s Q1.  If you remove it and the receiver comes to life, you’ve found the problem.  Don’t transmit without it but I had two Hilltoppers with this problem.  It might have something to do with the characteristic of the individual transistor.

Charles

On Apr 2, 2020, at 4:53 AM, W9QS via groups.io <mbroga@...> wrote:

Hi Charles,

Mike, W9QS 

Jim,

Charles - 5H3DX
NK8O

Jim, WW9H

Charles W. Powell

Hongera bwana! (Congratulations, sir!)

Have fun.  Such a cool little radio.

Charles - 5H3DX
NK8O

On Apr 2, 2020, at 6:57 PM, W9QS via groups.io <mbroga@...> wrote:

Thanks for the hint.  Q1 is just fine.  After re-examining the solder side with my magnifier (old 78 year old eyes) I found a missed Solder  joint.   Works as it should.  Now to make some contacts.

Mike, W9QS

On Thursday, April 2, 2020, 12:53 AM, Charles W. Powell via groups.io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

Charles

On Apr 2, 2020, at 4:53 AM, W9QS via groups.io <mbroga@...> wrote:

Hi Charles,

Mike, W9QS 

Jim,

Charles - 5H3DX
NK8O

Jim, WW9H