Topics

What Kit's would be nice for 2021

Robert

How about a high performance broadcast band / SWL receiver

Curt

Well the ubitx does this, except lacking a wide IF filter and envelope detector.

Funny thing my 12 volt tube regen pulls in distant broadcast band signals (-:

How about a 10 or 12m rig, maybe with a vxo for tuning. Yes counterculture to the si5351, or that could be an add on.

73 curt

WA0ITP

I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice tight audio band pass filter?

--

Robert,

Without getting into big bucks one can get into really good SWL listening (as well as Ham CW & SSB) with a Radio Shack DX-394, a surprising small receiver that usually sells for less than $200 and give many receivers costing well over twice as much.

Get the B version which is much better that the original and the A version, and if it has the Mike Crabtree mods that's even better!!

EuGene Smith, KA5NLY

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 8:13:39 PM CST, Robert <e1dslr@...> wrote:

How about a high performance broadcast band / SWL receiver

Tim N9PUZ

How about a single band tube transceiver? I know because of power supplies, etc. it wouldn't be dirt cheap but I think there'd be something satisfying sitting around the glow of a little tube rig cranking out Q's in the evening.

Tim N9PUZ

WA0ITP

and super slow tuning

I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice tight audio band pass filter?

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 8:13 PM Robert <e1dslr@...> wrote:
How about a high performance broadcast band / SWL receiver

I second Tim’s (N9PUZ) suggestion about a single band tube transceiver. I got into the hobby in 1993 and missed out on those warm glowing tubes.

Peter
AA2VG

On Jan 5, 2021, at 10:42 PM, Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@gmail.com> wrote:

How about a single band tube transceiver? I know because of power supplies, etc. it wouldn't be dirt cheap but I think there'd be something satisfying sitting around the glow of a little tube rig cranking out Q's in the evening.

Tim N9PUZ

--
Peter S. DeLuca
AA2VG

Michael Fletcher

I don’t recall ever seeing a power supply kit ever being offered. How about a low noise QRP level supply with 13.8 and 5 VDC output?

On Jan 5, 2021, at 21:20, bigusmith via groups.io <bigusmith@...> wrote:

Robert,

Without getting into big bucks one can get into really good SWL listening (as well as Ham CW & SSB) with a Radio Shack DX-394, a surprising small receiver that usually sells for less than $200 and give many receivers costing well over twice as much.

Get the B version which is much better that the original and the A version, and if it has the Mike Crabtree mods that's even better!!

EuGene Smith, KA5NLY

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 8:13:39 PM CST, Robert <e1dslr@...> wrote:

How about a high performance broadcast band / SWL receiver

n4mj

Exactly Tim. A simple tube xcvr with xtal controlled tx would be nice. It might be a little price but the nostalgia would be the driver. Would certainly consider a purchase. Love that warm glow.
73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 09:42:40 PM CST, Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

How about a single band tube transceiver? I know because of power
supplies, etc. it wouldn't be dirt cheap but I think there'd be
something satisfying sitting around the glow of a little tube rig
cranking out Q's in the evening.

Tim N9PUZ

I wanted a QRP tube rig so I bought one of those Ameco AC-2T kits, 100-500 milliwatts.  It is a transmitter only, but I have a tube type regenerative receiver schematic around here somewhere, so I can build that and pair both rigs together with a T/R switch; sorta like deja vu all over again (to coin an expression!).Emoji

It would be nice if 4SQRP could offer a simple tube type transceiver - 1 or 2 tubes and crystal control, and maybe plug in coils for band changes, like some of the receivers I built as a kid. (would probably need a nice tight low pass filter with some of those oldie designs!)

Oh, yeah, nostalgia, and the nice glow of a tube to warm the shack and the heart!

EuGene Smith, KA5NLY
Clinton, AR

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 10:52:22 PM CST, n4mj via groups.io <n4mj@...> wrote:

Exactly Tim. A simple tube xcvr with xtal controlled tx would be nice. It might be a little price but the nostalgia would be the driver. Would certainly consider a purchase. Love that warm glow.
73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 09:42:40 PM CST, Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

How about a single band tube transceiver? I know because of power
supplies, etc. it wouldn't be dirt cheap but I think there'd be
something satisfying sitting around the glow of a little tube rig
cranking out Q's in the evening.

Tim N9PUZ

Lee

Hmmm - the PS side need not be that expensive with a pair of 115/230 to 25.2 VCT transformers wired back to back; you get 150-160 volts for the plates, up to 150 or so for the screen grids and if you tap one side of the low voltage output of the first transformer for 12.6 for filaments. You can even regulate the plate supply to eliminate the dreaded "Yoop" ...................

Lee KX4TT

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021, 05:52:22 am GMT+1, n4mj via groups.io <n4mj@...> wrote:

Exactly Tim. A simple tube xcvr with xtal controlled tx would be nice. It might be a little price but the nostalgia would be the driver. Would certainly consider a purchase. Love that warm glow.
73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 09:42:40 PM CST, Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

How about a single band tube transceiver? I know because of power
supplies, etc. it wouldn't be dirt cheap but I think there'd be
something satisfying sitting around the glow of a little tube rig
cranking out Q's in the evening.

Tim N9PUZ

griffithsesq.robert

A simple frequency spotting modification kit for legacy Bayou Jumpers.
Griff NE3I

Robert Alan Griffiths

Woody Hester

I'll chime in on the tube type transceiver too.  I would definitely be interested.  It would be a nice change of pace, nostalgic for some (who are old enough) and a great learning opportunity for others.  If the transceiver part is too complicated, perhaps a transmitter and receiver set with a T/R switching device??  Anyway, count me in if this happens.  I'm always up for a new adventure. / WD9F

Jeff, K9JP

I would like to suggest:

1)  bench test set.  Maybe a wall wart style power supply, frequency counter, field strength meter, SWR bridge or indicator, dummy load, volt meter. ohm meter, etc. all in one pc board case.  Something that would not take up much work bench space, but would be so very helpful in troubleshooting and learning.
2) Six meter FM or CW receiver to be used as a monitor receiver for band openings.
3) ISS downlink receiver for ISS passes so one could monitor the repeater output and maybe increase interest
4) A set of circuit components that can be plugged into each other to build or create a simple CW or SSB QRP TX using sockets for some components to make changing frequency (maybe use those low cost programmable crystal oscillators) or bands possible.  Then down the page maybe add a small amplifier for some 20 watt QRO if needed.
5) A similar set of circuit components to build CW/SSB receiver again with the possibility of plug-in components to change the band or bands. Again as a learning or teaching tool for those that want to learn how each section works and how they work together.
6) 10 meter beacon receiver to help monitor band openings.

73/72, Jeff K9JP

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 9:13 PM Robert <e1dslr@...> wrote:
How about a high performance broadcast band / SWL receiver

--
Do Something Nice for Someone Else Today.
73 and ZUT (CW forever)

Johnny AC0BQ

Gm Woody and the group.
I think Dave Cripe has one in the “thinking” stages.
I’m not sure if the details?
Yes, we all have plenty of little 40 or 20 meter solid state radius’s
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Dan Reynolds

There are options for HV power supplies with the chinese boards. There are a few that can generate HV from low DC... Especially at these current levels.
--
Dan Reynolds -- KB9JLO
<><

Johnny AC0BQ

Gm Dan
Have u found one that’s not noisy?
I’ve heard they cause a lot a hash?
Just thinking out loud?
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

nm0s_qrp

Ha!  Just wait until you see what I have been working on!

73 Dave NM0S

Johnny AC0BQ

No fair Dave!
We need a picture or schematic!
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Ed Meyer, WG5F

I'm not so interested in the tube type kits.
I still remember helping my high school buddy trouble shoot his HW-101 and getting knocked across the room from the HV in the plate circuit.
I worked on many other high voltage circuits in the coming years (Ham and Medical X-Ray systems,) but I really loved the onset of solid state devices and the ability to trouble shoot some circuits with finger capacitance on a circuit board (without seeing stars.)
I'm not sure I'd trust myself to keep safe around HV these days.
I've certainly not built every kit from 4SQRP, but I'll skip the tube offerings.
Happy New Year, Y'all.
72,
-Ed, WG5F-