What Kit's would be nice for 2021

Jess Gypin

I vote for this as well,

On Jan 6, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...> wrote:

No fair Dave!
We need a picture or schematic!
72
Johnny ACØBQ

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 11:04 AM nm0s_qrp <nm0s@...> wrote:
Ha!  Just wait until you see what I have been working on!

73 Dave NM0S

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

w2sh@...

I would suggest a zero beat indicator to help net QNIs.

72,.

Charles (aka Chas), W2SH

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Dan Reynolds

I'm still waiting on the buildathon kit but here you go: https://www.qrpme.com/?p=product&id=F20
Look through that. He had it working and so did someone that was helping him. There were a couple of different PS and ways to tame them.
Because of issues he's not been able to deliver the kit yet. Most all of us that signed up decided to go through with the kit building anyway...
--
Dan Reynolds -- KB9JLO
<><

WR9H

This is a great idea, Terry. I "liquidated" all my tube stuff awhile back and do not care to build anymore glowbug rigs. Besides, there's a constant high voltage power supply requirement which is tough to meet with the limited and pricey availability of transformers. Don't get me started on thermal drift etc😵.
Herb/WR9H

I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice tight audio band pass filter?

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 8:13 PM Robert <e1dslr@...> wrote:
How about a high performance broadcast band / SWL receiver

--
Tnx es 72  WAØITP

--
Tnx es 72  WAØITP

Tom Sevart

On 1/5/2021 20:13, Robert wrote:
How about a high performance broadcast band / SWL receiver
I like this idea.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Tom Sevart

On 1/5/2021 21:20, WA0ITP wrote:
I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice tight audio band pass filter?
Also not a bad idea, except that NDB's have a limited life. More and more are being shut down as time goes on, and probably within 10 years there won't be any left on the air.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Tom Sevart

On 1/6/2021 08:47, Jeff, K9JP wrote:
I would like to suggest:
1)  bench test set.  Maybe a wall wart style power supply, frequency counter, field strength meter, SWR bridge or indicator, dummy load, volt meter. ohm meter, etc. all in one pc board case.  Something that would not take up much work bench space, but would be so very helpful in troubleshooting and learning.
The 4SQRP group already put out the HF test set. It's got a frequency counter, crystal oscillator, dummy load, noise generator, audio tone generator, and TDR. That kit was retired long ago, so I don't know if they'd be willing to resurrect it.

2) Six meter FM or CW receiver to be used as a monitor receiver for band openings.
I already have a 6m receiver in the form of my Icom R75. But I've long wanted to get onto 6m, so a 6m xceiver kit would be great, either CW or SSB or both.

6) 10 meter beacon receiver to help monitor band openings.
Another good idea. What I actually do is have an old CB hooked up in my shack to listen for 10m band openings. When I hear all the overpowered stations blabbering on channel 6, I know that 10 might be opening up. But a 10 beacon receiver would be a neat idea.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

OK, I give, what is a NDB?

EuGene

On Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 8:21:58 PM CST, Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:

On 1/5/2021 21:20, WA0ITP wrote:
> I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice tight audio
> band pass filter?

Also not a bad idea, except that NDB's have a limited life.  More and
more are being shut down as time goes on, and probably within 10 years
there won't be any left on the air.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

What is a NDB?

EuGenem KA5NLY

On 1/5/2021 21:20, WA0ITP wrote:
> I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice tight audio
> band pass filter?

Also not a bad idea, except that NDB's have a limited life.  More and
more are being shut down as time goes on, and probably within 10 years
there won't be any left on the air.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Curt

As it is also nice to encourage homebrew and mods, test equipment is a great idea.

I still use the Elsie inductance and capacitance meter, the one that reads in morse, that was kitted by njqrp. Let's see if could be used as frequency counter. A two level signal generator like norcal once kitted. I have the 4state test set, and I used it to sort xtals and its audio generator.

While I enjoyed copying an ozark patrol, I also did a WBR regen, its amazing on cw, don't think its ever been kitted. It is a huge upgrade over simpler regens.

The agc I placed in my ubitx, using a bright led and photoresistor is amazing. It would benefit any receiver without agc. Hasn't been kitted that I know of.

73 curt

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Tom
We have talked about this.
It needs a rework to add feature and put it in a box?
I still use mine, but its unhandy to move the jum[ers!

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:55 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
On 1/6/2021 08:47, Jeff, K9JP wrote:
> I would like to suggest:
>
> 1)  bench test set.  Maybe a wall wart style power supply, frequency
> counter, field strength meter, SWR bridge or indicator, dummy load, volt
> meter. ohm meter, etc. all in one pc board case.  Something that would
> not take up much work bench space, but would be so very helpful in
> troubleshooting and learning.

The 4SQRP group already put out the HF test set.  It's got a frequency
counter, crystal oscillator, dummy load, noise generator, audio tone
generator, and TDR.  That kit was retired long ago, so I don't know if
they'd be willing to resurrect it.

> 2) Six meter FM or CW receiver to be used as a monitor receiver for band
> openings.

I already have a 6m receiver in the form of my Icom R75.  But I've long
wanted to get onto 6m, so a 6m xceiver kit would be great, either CW or
SSB or both.

> 6) 10 meter beacon receiver to help monitor band openings.

Another good idea.  What I actually do is have an old CB hooked up in my
shack to listen for 10m band openings.  When I hear all the overpowered
stations blabbering on channel 6, I know that 10 might be opening up.
But a 10 beacon receiver would be a neat idea.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Yes I agree
What is NBD?

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:22 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
On 1/5/2021 21:20, WA0ITP wrote:
> I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice tight audio
> band pass filter?

Also not a bad idea, except that NDB's have a limited life.  More and
more are being shut down as time goes on, and probably within 10 years
there won't be any left on the air.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

John Lonigro

Non directional beacon. I had to look it up myself.
72,
John, AA0VE

On 1/5/2021 21:20, WA0ITP wrote:
> I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice tight audio
> band pass filter?

Also not a bad idea, except that NDB's have a limited life.  More and
more are being shut down as time goes on, and probably within 10 years
there won't be any left on the air.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Ahh OK!

On 1/5/2021 21:20, WA0ITP wrote:
> I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice tight audio
> band pass filter?

Also not a bad idea, except that NDB's have a limited life.  More and
more are being shut down as time goes on, and probably within 10 years
there won't be any left on the air.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

OK, next question...what is a non directional beakon and how does a ham communicate with it?

EuGene

On 1/5/2021 21:20, WA0ITP wrote:
> I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice tight audio
> band pass filter?

Also not a bad idea, except that NDB's have a limited life.  More and
more are being shut down as time goes on, and probably within 10 years
there won't be any left on the air.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Don, W9EBK

NDB is a non-directional beacon,  used for aircraft navigation. They were largely replaced by VORs in the 1960s and later mostly superceded by GPS. Nevertheless some NDBs are still operational.  Our 1975 vintage Cessna 172 has a NDB receiver in it. Just for fun I used it the last time I flew into Lincoln,  IL. The NDB on that airport is callsign AAA.  NDBs operate on frequencies below the AM broadcast band.  Normally they are heard no more than 20 miles,  but when propagation is good I've heard hams and SWLs report hearing them as much as 1000 miles away. If you are bored on a winter night tune around 300 to 400 KHZ and listen for 3 digit CW identifiers being sent at 5 WPM. Those are NDBs.
Don, W9EBK

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021, 9:00 PM bigusmith via groups.io <bigusmith=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
What is a NDB?

EuGenem KA5NLY