What Kit's would be nice for 2021

Jim Manley

An NDB is used by aviators and mariners for long-range navigation and are typically located on mountaintops and promontories overlooking coastlines.  They simply transmit one, two, or three Morse characters at 5 wpm over and over, on 190 KHz to 1,750 KHz, although normally NDBs in North America operate between 190 KHz and 535 KHz (some AM radios can pick up those on 530 - 535 KHz) modulated by either 400 or 1,020 Hz.  They're depicted on navigation charts (there's no such thing as an aeronautical or maritime map) by this symbol:

image.png

Therefore, their position is precisely fixed and known, and they're broadcast-only - you can't communicate with them.  However, their power levels can be as low as 25 watts, and some range up to 2 KWs.  They're favorites of DXers because, under the right conditions, they can be received much further than their intended range (but you can't receive a QSL card from them!).  

The U.S. system is being decommissioned by attrition at the least-used sites, as well as a plan to eliminate about 50 per year through 2025.  Aviators and mariners are strongly opposed to this plan, because GPS can be fragile for a variety of reasons, including lack of good coverage at higher latitudes, and others which can't be discussed at the unclassified level.

Jim  KJ7JHE, FAA certificated pilot, and U.S. Navy shipboard navigator

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:21 PM bigusmith via groups.io <bigusmith=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
OK, next question...what is a non directional beakon and how does a ham communicate with it?

EuGene

Dennis Gaskill

cheap fox hunt transmitter

Dennis KC0IFQ

Bob Parr

...and what do you do with an NDB?

Bob
KG5GTE

> Non directional beacon. I had to look it up myself.72,
> John, AA0VE 
>
>
>> On Jan 6, 2021, at 9:05 PM, Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>> ?Yes I agree 
>> What is NBD?
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:22 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 1/5/2021 21:20, WA0ITP wrote:
>> I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice
>> tight audio band pass filter?
>>
>>
> Also not a bad idea, except that NDB's have a limited life.  More
> and more are being shut down as time goes on, and probably within
> 10 years there won't be any left on the air.
>
>
> --
> Tom Sevart N2UHC
> St. Paul, KS

Jeff, K9JP

How about converting that NDB receiver into a one watt tunable transceiver for 630 meter band? The 630-meter (or 600-meter) amateur radio band is a frequency band allocated by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) to amateur radio operators, and it ranges from 472–479 kHz,

That would help create interest in low frequency communications and antenna experimentation. For an antenna I might try making a PVC pipe rolled base coil and a short (5-8 foot) stinger.  Something I could hang in my garage and even using two of them to make a right angle dipole. Yes, efficiency will not be great, but think of the fun talking to other area hams (maybe DX the next town over) and maybe make a few new friends as well.

de Jeff K9JP

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 12:14 AM Bob Parr <parr@...> wrote:
...and what do you do with an NDB?

Bob
KG5GTE

> Non directional beacon. I had to look it up myself.72,
> John, AA0VE 
>
>
>> On Jan 6, 2021, at 9:05 PM, Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>> ?Yes I agree 
>> What is NBD?
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:22 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 1/5/2021 21:20, WA0ITP wrote:
>> I enjoy chasing NDBs.  How about an NDB receiver with a nice
>> tight audio band pass filter?
>>
>>
> Also not a bad idea, except that NDB's have a limited life.  More
> and more are being shut down as time goes on, and probably within
> 10 years there won't be any left on the air.
>
>
> --
> Tom Sevart N2UHC
> St. Paul, KS

--
Do Something Nice for Someone Else Today.
73 and ZUT (CW forever)

Bill Lamm

N2USC "6m xceiver kit would be great, either CW or SSB or both."

I like that idea as well

KD9MDL

WR9H

I would like to see  a simple 2 meter cw/ kit transmitter that could be heard in our handhelds. 
Herb/WR9H

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Lamm <kd9mdl@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2021 11:56 AM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] What Kit's would be nice for 2021

I like that idea as well

KD9MDL

John - KK4ITX

Here's a 2m FM unit that you can try.  Although it's on my website I have never tried it myself....... I thought that some of the locals would enjoy practicing CW but it was a dead end.

Really not very complicated, no bells and whistles.  I probably have most all the parts if you don't and would share them.  You would need a box and some battery power, perhaps a 9V ?

John

Click Here for Zephyrhills Area Amateur Radio Club
Many of life's failures are people who
did not realize how close they were to
success when they gave up.
       Thomas A. Edison     

On Thursday, January 7, 2021, 02:01:24 PM EST, WR9H <herbcase@...> wrote:

I would like to see  a simple 2 meter cw/ kit transmitter that could be heard in our handhelds. 
Herb/WR9H

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Lamm <kd9mdl@...>

I like that idea as well

KD9MDL

John Lonigro

There's a similar device described in the July, 1997 QST that I almost built one time.

Something like that would be fun and easy to build, but the warning about having long ragchews is important.  If your HT has a time-out timer, it would be a good idea to make sure it is turned on.

John, AA0VE

On 1/7/21 1:22 PM, John - KK4ITX via groups.io wrote:
Here's a 2m FM unit that you can try.  Although it's on my website I have never tried it myself....... I thought that some of the locals would enjoy practicing CW but it was a dead end.

Really not very complicated, no bells and whistles.  I probably have most all the parts if you don't and would share them.  You would need a box and some battery power, perhaps a 9V ?

John

Thomas A. Edison     

Herb/WR9H

N2USC "6m xceiver kit would be great, either CW or SSB or both." I like that idea as well KD9MDL

WA0ITP

Thank you John, appreciate the info.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 1:22 PM John - KK4ITX via groups.io <jleahy00=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

John

Thomas A. Edison     

Herb/WR9H

I like that idea as well

KD9MDL

--

Tom Sevart

On 1/6/2021 20:52, bigusmith via groups.io wrote:
OK, I give, what is a NDB?
Non-Directional Beacon. They are aircraft beacons found below the MW broadcast band, from around 200-400 kHz, and repeat a three letter ID in MCW. They were pretty common and plentiful 20-30 years ago but many have been decommissioned. I think GPS is replacing them.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Tom Sevart

On 1/6/2021 21:01, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:
Hello Tom
We have talked about this.
It needs a rework to add feature and put it in a box?
I still use mine, but its unhandy to move the jum[ers!
I don't know if you've ever seen mine or not, but I made it a lot more user-friendly by putting it in a box and using a multi-position rotary switch to choose the different functions. I really like using it to test crystals with the crystal oscillator and frequency counter.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--

Johnny AC0BQ

Sound nice Tom.
I never thought of that?
I just leave mine open, I have it mounted at a angle on some plexiglass.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 7:17 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
On 1/6/2021 21:01, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:
> Hello Tom
> We have talked about this.
> It needs a rework to add feature and put it in a box?
> I still use mine, but its unhandy to move the jum[ers!
>

I don't know if you've ever seen mine or not, but I made it a lot more
user-friendly by putting it in a box and using a multi-position rotary
switch to choose the different functions.  I really like using it to
test crystals with the crystal oscillator and frequency counter.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Tom Sevart

On 1/7/2021 19:19, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:
Sound nice Tom.
I never thought of that?
Here's a pic of mine. I mounted it in a box which is angled, the back being higher than the front. I think it was designed to be used in this manner. In the pic you can see a crystal in the crystal oscillator socket and the frequency counter reading the crystal's frequency. All the connectors for the different functions are on the back along with a 9V battery mounted externally. Building the test set this way makes it very handy & easy to use.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--

Tom Sevart

On 1/7/2021 19:19, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:
Sound nice Tom.
I never thought of that?
Here's a pic of mine. I mounted it in a box which is angled, the back being higher than the front. I think it was designed to be used in this manner. In the pic you can see a crystal in the crystal oscillator socket and the frequency counter reading the crystal's frequency. All the connectors for the different functions are on the back along with a 9V battery mounted externally. Building the test set this way makes it very handy & easy to use.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--

WR9H

Thanks for this, John. I had in mind an actually transmitter and only used the handheld as a receiver. Something like the Ingram Hamfest Buddy transmitter from years ago.
Herb/ WR9H

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of John - KK4ITX via groups.io <jleahy00@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2021 1:22 PM

John

Thomas A. Edison     

Herb/WR9H

I like that idea as well

KD9MDL

Tom Denton

I'll second the return of the freq-mite. I seem to use it on anything that doesn't have a dial or digital readout. Although I am sitting here thinking about the crystal spotter in an HW-8 has a dial calibrator.